September 1993 saw the release of the CD32, an Amiga with a CD-ROM drive and a few under-used hardware improvements. Very similar to the Amiga 1200, the CD32 outsold SEGA’s Mega-CD ahead of Christmas 1993, but failed long-term thanks to the collapse of Commodore.
As such, it remains a desirable system, with units on the second hand market going for upwards of £250.
Given the importance of the anniversary, it makes sense that Amiga Addict should devote issue 24 to the landmark.
Here’s the official list of Amiga Addict’s CD32 special issue’s main content:
- Hip hip hooray! It’s the Amiga CD32 console’s 30th birthday! Join us in spinning up a few discs to celebrate the world’s most powerful home console at launch. We talk to the minds behind the hardware, including Beth Richard and Jeff Porter of Commodore, as well as bringing you the inside story from industry legends such as Marcus Dyson (Amiga Format magazine), David Pleasance (Commodore UK) and Martyn Brown (Team17).
- Included free: complete game, Beneath A Steel Sky CD32! Yes that’s right, AA’s biggest coverdisc download to date (our first CD) includes Revolution software’s smash hit. This is the only time the full version of Beneath A Steel Sky has been given away completely legally and we’d like to thank Revolution Software for allowing us to make it possible. But that’s not all, our CD32 bootable disc also has the latest playable demos of Roguecraft and Hamulet, as well as full public domain releases Boxx4, Rogue Declan Zero and Ooze: The Escape. CDs are absolutely massive, so we even had plenty of room left to pack in extra demoscene content with Full Moon AGA. Insert the disc in your CD32 and the console is bound to thank you for the best birthday present its ever had!
- CD32 Classic Coverdisc Of The Month with Amiga CD32 Gamer magazine.
- A look at the CD32 as viewed by the press, with interviews from magazine staffers Ian Osborne (Amiga Force), Paul Rigby (Amiga Joker/Amiga Mania/Amiga Pro) and Stuart Wynne (Amiga CD32 Gamer).
- A Cecconoid players map, revealing the entire game world for all to see!
- Our Gold Standard section showcases Guardian, the CD32’s ultimate 3D shooter!
- Top 50 Amiga CD32 Games Chart (sponsored by the Hall Of Light website).
- Latest Amiga game reviews: Rogue Declan Zero and the Tenebra series.
- Six Of The Best with CD32 book author Justin Castle (AKA AmigaJay).
- The CD32 Games That Weren’t sees Frank Gasking reveal the best Amiga console games to never get released!
- The second instalment of our interview with Boat, Aaron and Brent of Amigos retro gaming network of podcasts.
- CD32 Corner: Fightin’ Spirit – arguably the best Amiga fighting game ever produced.
- Hardware reviews of the Terrible Fire 330 and GoDRIvE Floppy Emulator and Switcher.
- Part two of our Coding in AMOS Professional tutorial.
- Our regulars including former-Sensible Software’s Stoo Cambridge, Demoscene with h0ffman, Amiga news, User Groups and readers letters.
- Plus lots lots more..!
Amiga Addict can be bought from WHSmith or ordered online from the Addict Media website. The magazine is available on October 5th.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine, TechRadar.com, and other publications.